Herb Roasted Chicken with Red Potatoes
For best results, use a larger three-quarter size sheet pan instead of a standard 13” x 18” half sheet pan for this recipe. This will allow the vegetables enough room to be spread into a single layer without overcrowding, while keeping all ingredients to one single pan.
Keeping all ingredients on a single sheet pan is important in this case because the juice from the chicken and lemon wedges will mingle with the fresh herbs to infuse the potatoes, onion, and kale with incredible flavor while cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40-47 minutes
1½ lbs. red potatoes, cleaned and cut in half
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
6-8 whole garlic cloves, finely minced
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh rosemary, minced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large lemon, cut into 8 wedges
2 c. fresh kale, washed, tough stems removed, and thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, red onions, minced garlic, olive oil, and fresh rosemary. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and arrange the veggies on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
3. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and coat with any remaining rosemary and olive oil mixture. Season the chicken with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and nestle in between the veggies along with the lemon wedges and sprigs of fresh thyme.
4. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the veggies develop nice color and the chicken is nearly done. Remove baking sheet from the oven and stir in the fresh kale.
5. Return the sheet pan to the oven and roast for another 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked* and the kale is wilted. Remove from oven and transfer chicken and potatoes to a serving platter and loosely cover with foil. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Note: Always cook meat to temperature, not by time. Actual cooking time will vary based on a number of factors, including internal starting temperature, individual oven variations, size and thickness of the meat, what else is in the oven while cooking, etc…
The minimum safe recommended cooking temperature for chicken thighs is 165°F (74°C).